Lead Marine Engineer (Transportation & Installation)
Aibel is a leading service company within the oil, gas and offshore wind industries. We provide our customers with optimal and innovative solutions within engineering, construction, modifications and maintenance throughout a project’s entire life cycle. Aibel's 4000 skilled employees are located close to our customers at the company’s offices in Norway and South East Asia. In addition, we operate two modern yards in Haugesund and in Thailand, with complete prefabrication and construction capabilities.
Position Overview: Lead Marine Engineer (Transportation and Installation) will be responsible for all the engineering activities related marine operations in the pre-service phase of offshore structural design, viz., fabrication, land transportation, sea transportation and lifting / installation. Responsibilities include leading, managing and guiding the marine engineering team in the basis organization and projects, providing technical solutions, planning of resources for marine engineering activities, coordination with marine operations, marine warranty surveyors and T & I contractors, preparation of marine engineering method statements, calculation reports for marine operations, review of the comments from client and incorporating them in the design and reports.
The successful candidate shall;
- Report to, and provide support to the Engineering Manager / Lead Engineer –Structural on assigned projects and report to the Head – Structural Engineering at the basis organization level.
- Be responsible for leading, managing and guiding the marine engineering resources in the basis organization and in the projects assigned. Be the focal point of coordination for marine operations, interface with land & sea transportation contractors, installation contractors, fabrication yard and certification bodies in all the projects.
- Be responsible for all the engineering activities related to marine operations like module construction, weighing, load-out, barge transportation and lifting phases. Perform structural analysis of topsides for Barge transportation, load-out (skidding / SPMT) and lifting conditions using SACS and other FEA software. Responsibilities also include planning of marine activities, preparation of method statement / scheme / procedures, engineering for load-out, design of grillage and sea-fastening, installation aids design, design of temporary structures, liaising with construction, weighing, transportation and installation contractors, technical support for approval from Marine Warranty Surveyor (MWS) or other approving bodies. Produce structural calculation reports for the activities described above. Perform structural analysis and design of offshore steel structures (FPSO Modules and Topsides of Fixed installations) for the applicable design conditions, where required in the projects assigned.
- Represent marine engineering in meetings, discussions, audits, verifications, workshops and technical reviews that relates to marine engineering on assigned projects and be responsible for effective and timely resolution of technical issues identified as required. Be familiar with and implement Company work processes, procedures and quality policy as appropriate on assigned areas of projects. Be aware of Company contractual requirements and Scope Boundaries and be responsible for Management of change within the scope of work for the Marine / Structural Discipline on assigned areas.
- Provide input for plan / schedule, resources, project execution methodology in a project, related to Marine engineering activities.
- Be responsible for progress of assigned Marine Engineering scope and deliverables as per the budget and schedule requirements of the project. Be responsible to ensure that all risks related to the assigned responsibility are identified, assessed and preventive measures are implemented in a timely manner when required in coordination with the engineering manager.
- Be responsible for the technical integrity of all Marine Engineering design activities and deliverables for the work performed through project lifecycle phases and for compliance to project specific performance, integrity, quality and HSE requirements relevant to his/ her assigned scope of work. Review and provide technical inputs on Marine Engineering related technical matters to interfacing disciplines, in coordination with the engineering manager / Lead structural Engineer, during the development of design on projects for assigned areas.
- Be responsible for the marine engineering technical interfaces with other contractors and suppliers, for assigned areas to ensure compliance with the technical requirements & specifications of and to monitor the compliance to Client’s Basis of Design, Standards & Project Specifications.
- Provide necessary technical support to the engineering manager / lead structural engineer to obtain necessary approvals from the verification body / classification society or other applicable approving authorities
- Must have a minimum of 15 years of experience having worked in an engineering setup for upstream oil & gas projects and shall have experience related to all the engineering activities for marine operations (Transportation and Installation) and structural design of offshore structures. Must have at least 6 years of experience in the capacity of Lead Marine Engineer in an EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) organization delivering topsides of offshore structures, with similar job responsibilities described above and managing a marine engineering team (approx. 15).
- Must have worked in Greenfield offshore oil & gas projects and also in various phases of upstream projects like FEED, Basic and detailed engineering phases. Must have experience in all the engineering activities related to marine engineering like module construction, weighing, load-out, barge transportation and lifting phases. This include planning of the marine activities, preparation of method statement / scheme / procedures, engineering for load-out, design of grillage and sea-fastening, installation guides design, design of temporary structures, liaising with construction, weighing, transportation and installation contractors, technical support for approval from Marine Warranty Surveyor (MWS) or other approving bodies, etc.
- Must have had prior work experience with medium/ large sized projects in the Oil and Gas sector with similar roles and accountabilities and possess an excellent understanding of marine engineering activities, structural analysis and design of offshore structures and multi-discipline interfaces. Must have worked with international oil majors.
- Must possess a thorough understanding and knowledge of oil and natural gas industry standards such as, but not limited to, ISO, API, AISC and DNVGL standards applicable for marine engineering and design of offshore structures
- Have advanced computer literacy in commonly used business software applications such MS Office and shall be experienced in the use of SACS Program. Basic knowledge of 3D softwares like PDMS / E3D and Navisworks is required.
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural engineering.
- Must have experience in the marine engineering activities and analysis & design of offshore structures for a minimum period of 15 years and must be well versed in using SACS software
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal supervision, make sound decisions, take independent action, analyse problems and provide focused solutions to assigned projects.
- Shall possess strong inter-personal and communication skills and be able to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
What we offer:
We can offer you interesting assignments in an informal, dynamic and friendly working environment with good possibilities for professional and personal development. We offer a wide range of social events and competitive benefits.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified