Lead Material Engineer
Aibel is a leading service company within the oil, gas and offshore wind industries. We provide our customers with optimal and innovative solutions within engineering, construction, modifications and maintenance throughout a project’s entire life cycle. Aibel's 4000 skilled employees are located close to our customers at the company’s offices in Norway and South East Asia. In addition, we operate two modern yards in Haugesund and in Thailand, with complete prefabrication and construction capabilities.
- Report to the Head of System Engineering at basis level and to the Project Engineering Manager at project level.
- Act as the single point of contact for the Material Technology Discipline and support the project team during Tenders or Conceptual, FEED or Detailed Engineering phases.
- Be responsible for the cost-effective selection of materials and corrosion management framework to ensure integrity of materials applied in company projects through project lifecycle phases in compliance with relevant client requirements.
- Review and provide inputs on metallurgy related technical matters during the development of equipment and bulk material specifications and review of bidder offers for packages.
- Implement Company work processes, procedures and quality policies as required by project.
- Adhere to Company contractual requirements, Scope Boundaries and support the Project Engineering Manager with the Management of change on assigned areas.
- Be responsible for the technical integrity of all Material Technology design activities and deliverables under his/ her supervision through the project lifecycle and for the compliance with relevant project performance, integrity, quality and HSE requirements.
- Review and provide technical inputs on Material Technology related technical matters to interfacing disciplines, during the development of design on projects.
- Manage Material Technology interfaces with equipment and package suppliers to comply with technical requirements, specifications and Client’s Basis of Design, Standards & Project Specifications.
- Be responsible for the Engineering for Procurement of packages such as insulation, Passive Fire Protection, painting, etc. and address material supply bidder’s technical clarifications for application aspects of such material.
- Support QAQC and review material related deviation requests for the project.
- Review project Piping Material specifications and provide technical support to discipline clarifications.
- Be responsible for the management of resources and progress of the Material technology scopes and for internal and external deliverables in line with the project budget and schedule.
- Ensure that that all risks related to his/her area or responsibility are identified, assessed and preventive measures are implemented in a timely manner when required.
- Be responsible for the progress of assigned Material Technology scopes, the internal and external deliverables in line with project budget and schedule.
- Support the Lead Engineer on verification activities as required by the verification body /classification society or other applicable approving authorities.
- Represent the Material Technology discipline during meetings, audits, verifications, workshops and technical reviews and be responsible for an effective and timely resolution of identified issues.
- Provide technical support related to Material Technology at the fabrication site, whenever required.
- Continuously seek to improve working methods, tools and procedures and contribute actively to the Material Technology Discipline development and experience transfer.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Work experience requirements:
- Must have a minimum of 15 years of experience having worked in an engineering setup for upstream oil & gas projects (Fixed and Floating Installation projects) serving in the capacity of a material engineer, having accrued thereof a minimum experience of 6 years in the capacity of a Lead Material Engineer.
- Must have work experience with medium/ large sized brownfield and greenfield projects in the Oil and Gas sector with similar roles and accountabilities and possess an excellent understanding of project phases, milestones, and deliverables.
- Must have demonstrable experience in material selection (metallic and non-metallic materials), corrosion/ erosion principles, metallurgy and welding, corrosion/ erosion protection & management, cathodic protection and coating systems based on life cycle analysis and cost-effectiveness with a proven track record on projects in the upstream oil and gas sector.
- Applicant shall possess demonstrable design experience with development/ update and/ or review of typical Materials Selection and Protection related deliverables such as philosophies, specifications, procedures, study reports etc.
- Applicant must possess a thorough understanding and knowledge of oil and natural gas industry standards such as, but not limited to, API (American Petroleum Institute), ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), NACE (National Association of Corrosion Engineers), ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation) and other relevant standards related to material, erosion/ corrosion, examination, welding processes, testing/ inspections, thermal insulation etc.
- Applicant shall have advanced computer literacy in commonly used business software applications such MS Office and shall be experienced in the use of the latest versions of Material selection tools such as Socrates, Predict and NORSOK M506 or similar.
- Bachelor’s degree in Material and/ or Corrosion Engineering or other equivalent engineering specialisation.
- Excellent technical communication (verbal and written) skills with proven ability to present technical issues to design teams, client, technical authorities and verification bodies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people at all levels.
- A self-starter who can work independently, make sound decisions, analyse problems and provide focused solutions.
Work location: Singapore
Application deadline: 9 July 2022
Apply for the position