Lead Pipe Stress Engineer
Aibel is a leading service company within the oil, gas and offshore wind industries. We provide our customers with optimal and innovative solutions within engineering, construction, modifications and maintenance throughout a project’s entire life cycle. Aibel's 4000 skilled employees are located close to our customers at the company’s offices in Norway and South East Asia. In addition, we operate two modern yards in Haugesund and in Thailand, with complete prefabrication and construction capabilities.
Position Overview: The Lead Pipe Stress Engineer shall provide the relevant technical expertise essentially in Pipe Stress Engineering. This shall include but not limited to - Prepare Technical Specification, Establish the Standard, Develop design basis, Customize and optimize to suit the project requirement, interact with associated disciplines, manage interfaces and provide site support during construction phase on Oil and Gas projects.
The successful candidate shall
- Report to, and provide support to the Lead Piping Engineer on assigned projects and report to the Department Head at the basis level.
- Act as the single point of contact on matters related to Pipe Stress in all phases of the project.
- Be responsible for the cost effective specification and selection of Pipe supports to company projects in compliance with relevant client requirements.
- Be responsible for the technical integrity of the discipline work performed under his/ her supervision and for compliance to project HSE requirements relevant to his/ her team’s scope of work.
- Review and provide technical inputs on Pipe stress and/or Pipe support design related technical matters.
- Be responsible for all Pipe stress and/or Pipe support Engineering activities and deliverables to ensure that the design complies with the specification, integrity and quality requirements of the project.
- Be responsible to incorporate the specific technical requirements in the Piping engineering design such as, vibration and fatigue
- Be responsible to review and incorporate in the Piping design the third party study recommendations. The type of studies include Surge, AIV and FIV
- Be responsible for and manage the technical interfaces with equipment and package suppliers, as appropriate, to ensure that the equipment and packages comply with the technical requirements & specifications of and to monitor the compliance to Client’s basis of Design, Standards & Project Specifications
- Provide technical support to the project to obtain necessary approvals from the verification body / classification society or other applicable approving authorities.
- Liaison with quality/inspection responsible and ensure implementation of agreed inspection and testing plans and participate in resolution of quality issues.
- Represent Piping Discipline in meetings, discussions, audits, verifications, workshops and technical reviews that relates to Pipe stress on projects and be responsible for closeout of actions identified as required.
- Identify and manage resource requirements and supervise the distribution of tasks and Lead, guide and mentor the Pipe Stress engineering team on the project and address the unique challenges of the project by providing technical solutions to the team and improve the performance of the Piping Engineering team.
- Be responsible to align to the progress of Piping Engineering scope and internal and supplier deliverables, where applicable, as per the schedule of the project.
- Be responsible for Management of change within the scope of work for the Piping Discipline on assigned projects
- Continuously seek to improve discipline working methods and procedures and contribute actively to discipline development activities
- Minimum of 15 years of experience having worked in an engineering setup for upstream oil & gas projects (platforms & FPSO projects) serving in the capacity of a Lead Support / Stress Engineer.
- Must have accrued experience having worked for projects in the NCS and UKCS sectors serving in the capacity of Lead Pipe Support / Stress or Engineer.
- Possess excellent knowledge of and must have accrued hands on experience with International Codes and Standards.
- Must have had prior work experience with medium/ large sized brownfield and green field projects in the Oil and Gas sector with similar roles and accountabilities and possess an excellent understanding of project phases, milestones and deliverables.
- Shall demonstrate in-depth knowledge in engineering design of Pipe Supports and /or pipe stress and cost-effectiveness with a proven track record on projects in the upstream oil and gas sector.
- Possess demonstrable design experience with development/ update and/ or review of typical Piping Engineering deliverables, such as, specifications, selection procedures, Support standards etc.
- Possess a thorough understanding and knowledge of oil and natural gas industry standards such as, but not limited to, ASME, API (American Petroleum Institute), BS, European Regulations and other relevant standards and guidelines, such as, Energy Institute.
- Shall have advanced computer literacy in commonly used business software applications such MS Office and specific software such as Caesar II.
- Must have, as a minimum a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other equivalent engineering specialisation.
- Must have excellent technical communication (oral and written) skills with proven ability to present technical issues to design teams, client technical authorities, and client’s project management representatives and approving bodies.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal supervision, make sound decisions, take independent action, analyse problems and provide focused solutions to assigned projects.
- Possess strong inter-personal and communication skills and be able to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
Apply for the position
What we offer:
We can offer you interesting assignments in an informal, dynamic and friendly working environment with good possibilities for professional and personal development. We offer a wide range of social events and competitive benefits.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified