Lead Safety Engineer
Aibel is a leading service company within the oil, gas and offshore wind industries. We provide our customers with optimal and innovative solutions within engineering, construction, modifications and maintenance throughout a project’s entire life cycle. Aibel's 4000 skilled employees are located close to our customers at the company’s offices in Norway and South East Asia. In addition, we operate two modern yards in Haugesund and in Thailand, with complete prefabrication and construction capabilities.
- Report to the Section Manager – System Engineering at basis level and to the Project Engineering Manager at project level.
- Act as the single point of contact for the Safety Engineering Discipline and support the project team during Tenders or Conceptual, FEED or Detailed Engineering phases.
- Be responsible for the provision of cost-effective Safety Engineering Design solutions and for all relevant technical matters related to Safety Engineering throughout the project lifecycle, in line with Statutory/Company and Client requirements
- Implement Company work processes, procedures and quality policies as required by project.
- Be conversant with Company contractual requirements, Scope Boundaries and support the project with the Management of change on assigned areas.
- Be responsible for the management of resources and progress of the Safety Engineering scopes and for internal and external deliverables in line with the project budget and schedule.
- Be responsible for the technical integrity of all Safety Engineering design activities and deliverables under his/ her supervision through the project lifecycle and for the compliance with relevant project performance, integrity, quality and HSE requirements.
- Review and provide technical inputs to equipment/ package related technical matters, during the development of equipment specifications, bid enquiry package, technical bid evaluations and provision of other necessary Technical Safety inputs for the purchase of equipment / packages for assigned areas.
- Manage the Technical Safety technical interfaces with equipment and package suppliers, for assigned areas to ensure that the equipment and packages comply with the technical requirements & specifications of and to monitor the compliance to Client’s Basis of Design, Standards & Project Specifications.
- Supervise or act as the package responsible engineer for safety, life-saving and firefighting equipment.
- Ensure that that all risks related to his/her area or responsibility are identified, assessed and preventive measures are implemented in a timely manner when required.
- Provide support to the project on verification activities as required by the verification body / classification society or other applicable approving authorities.
- Represent the Technical Safety discipline during meetings, audits, verifications, workshops and technical reviews and be responsible for an effective and timely resolution of identified issues.
- Provide technical support related to Technical Safety at the fabrication site, whenever required.
- Continuously seek to improve working methods, tools and procedures and contribute actively to the Technical Safety Discipline development and experience transfer.
- Supporting the Discipline Head, responsible for the proper division of work and responsibility and for mentoring, training, and developing direct reports and provide inputs to their performance appraisal.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Work experience requirements:
- Must have a minimum of 15 years of experience having worked in an multidisciplinary engineering setup for upstream oil & gas projects (Fixed and Floating installation projects) having served in the capacity of a Safety Engineer, having accrued thereof a minimum experience of 4 years in the capacity of a Lead Safety Engineer.
- Must have prior work experience with medium/ large sized brownfield and/or greenfield projects in the upstream Oil and Gas sector and possess a good understanding of project phases, milestones, deliverables, internal and external interfaces.
- Must have extensive experience with developing and implementing Safety Design Philosophies and Specifications related to Escape and Emergency Response, Active and Passive Fire Protection, Fire and Gas detection, Design Accidental Loads, Emergency Shutdown, Hazardous Area and Human Factor Engineering.
- Must have had extensive experience with developing and checking Safety Engineering Deliverables such as but not limited to Escape Route and Safety Equipment Layouts, Firewater Calculations and P&IDs, Firewater Hydraulics, Fire and Gas Drawings, Hazardous Area, Noise Specification and Flare Radiation.
- Must have had experience in specifying, managing and implementing recommendations from third party safety studies and workshops, including HAZID/ENVID, SIL Classifications, Smoke and Gas dispersion, Fire and Explosion Risk Analyses, Evacuation Analyses, QRA, ALARP assessments, Fire and Gas Mappings and Noise Studies etc.
- Applicant must possess a thorough understanding and knowledge of oil and natural gas industry standards such as, but not limited to, API (American Petroleum Institute), ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation), NORSOK, NFPA, EU Directives and other relevant standards related to Technical Safety.
- Applicant shall have advanced computer literacy in commonly used business software applications such MS Office and shall be conversant in the use of the latest versions of Technical Safety related software such as Pipenet, DNV PHAST, Flaresim or similar.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/ Chemical/ Safety Engineering or other equivalent engineering specialisation.
- Must have excellent technical communication (verbal and written) skills with proven ability to present technical issues to design teams, client, technical authorities and verification bodies.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently, make sound decisions, analyse problems and provide focused solutions.
"We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified."
Work location: Singapore
Application deadline: 1 December 2022
Apply for the position