Senior Technical Safety Engineer I
Aibel is a leading service company within the oil, gas and offshore wind industries. We provide our customers with optimal and innovative solutions within engineering, construction, modifications and maintenance throughout a project’s entire life cycle. Aibel's 4000 skilled employees are located close to our customers at the company’s offices in Norway and South East Asia. In addition, we operate two modern yards in Haugesund and in Thailand, with complete prefabrication and construction capabilities.
Position Overview: The Senior Safety Engineer shall be responsible for the provision of cost effective Safety Engineering Design solutions and for all relevant technical matters related to Safety Engineering throughout the project lifecycle, in line with Statutory/ Company and Client requirements, for greenfield and brownfield projects in the Upstream Oil and Gas Sector.
The successful candidate shall:
- Report to, and provide support to the Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer on assigned projects and report to the Head – System Engineering at the basis level.
- Be familiar with and implement Company work processes, procedures and quality policies as required by the project.
- Be aware of Company contractual requirements and Scope Boundaries and support the Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer with the Management of change on assigned areas.
- Be responsible for the progress of the assigned Safety Engineering scopes and for internal and external deliverables in line with the project budget and schedule.
- Be responsible for the technical integrity of all Safety Engineering activities and deliverables for work performed by him/ her through project lifecycle phases and for compliance to project specific performance, integrity, quality and HSE requirements relevant to his/ her assigned scope of work.
- Review and provide technical inputs on Safety Engineering related technical matters to interfacing disciplines, in coordination with the Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer, during the development of design on projects for assigned areas.
- Be responsible for and manage the Safety Engineering technical interfaces with equipment and package suppliers, in coordination with the Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer, for assigned areas to ensure that the equipment and packages comply with the technical requirements & specifications of and to monitor the compliance to Client’s Basis of Design, Standards & Project Specifications.
- Act as the package responsible engineer for safety, life-saving and firefighting equipment.
- Ensure that that all risks related to his/her area or responsibility are identified, assessed and preventive measures are implemented in a timely manner when required in coordination with Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer.
- Provide the necessary technical support to the Lead/ Senior Safety Engineer with respect to verification activities by the verification body / classification society or other applicable approving authorities.
- Represent the Safety Engineering discipline during meetings, audits, verifications, workshops and technical reviews and be responsible for an effective and timely resolution of identified issues.
- Provide technical support related to Safety Engineering at the fabrication site, whenever required.
- Continuously seeking to improve working methods, tools and procedures and contribute actively to the Safety Engineering Discipline development and experience transfer.
- Must have substantial experience, typically 5 years, of experience having worked in an engineering setup for upstream oil & gas projects (Platforms & FPSOs) serving in the capacity of a Technical Safety Engineer, having accrued thereof a minimum experience of 2 years in the capacity of a Senior Safety Engineer.
- Must have prior work experience with medium/ large sized brownfield and/or greenfield projects in the upstream Oil and Gas sector, in a similar role and possess a good understanding of project phases, milestones, deliverables, internal and external interfaces.
- Shall possess relevant experience with implementing Safety Design Philosophies and Specifications related to Escape and Emergency Response, Active and Passive Fire Protection, Fire and Gas detection, Design Accidental Loads, Emergency Shutdown and Human Factor Engineering.
- Shall have good experience with developing Safety Engineering Deliverables related to Escape Route Layouts, Firewater Calculations and P & IDs, Fire and Gas Drawings, Hazardous Area, Noise Specification and Flare Radiation.
- Should have had exposure to supporting the development and implementing of recommendations from third party safety studies and workshops, including HAZID/ENVID, SIL Classifications, Smoke, Gas, Fire and Explosion Risk Analyses, Evacuation Analyses, QRA, ALARP assessments, Fire and Gas Mappings and Noise Studies.
- Shall preferably have had exposure to the UKCS and NORSOK regulatory environments and have an understanding of EU Directives and Industry Standards related to the Safety Engineering discipline.
- Must possess a good understanding and knowledge of oil and natural gas industry standards such as, but not limited to, API (American Petroleum Institute), ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation), NORSOK, EU Directives and other relevant standards related to Safety Design and Engineering.
- Shall have strong computer literacy in commonly used business software applications such MS Office and shall be familiar in the use of the latest versions of Technical Safety Design and Simulation tools such as Pipenet®, Flaresim ® etc.
- Shall have, as a minimum a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/ Chemical/ Safety Engineering or equivalent engineering specialisation.
- Must have excellent technical communication (verbal and written) skills with proven ability to present technical issues to design teams, client, technical authorities and verification bodies.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently, make sound decisions, analyse problems and provide focused solutions.
- Shall possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
What we offer:
We can offer you interesting assignments in an informal, dynamic and friendly working environment with good possibilities for professional and personal development. We offer a wide range of social events and competitive benefits.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.Apply for the position